7 August 2021

The year everyone got horny (Eurovision 2021 2/2)

Eurovision's Grand Final – an event I'm waiting for every year. This time I was even more excited for it than usual and the fact that there was no contest last year wasn't the only reason. This year there were so many incredible artists competing, it was hard to foresee who might win. So, why not have a look (and listen!) at all entries?

26. United Kingdom: "Embers" by James Newman
The scoring system implemented in 2016 makes it almost impossible to get zero points. Almost.
 
"Embers" isn't the worst song this year (if you exclude constant usage of this goddamn trumpets and trombones, but it may be my hatred for metal wind instruments speaking). It's catchy and James has great stage presence. However, when compared to other entries, it's rather bland and forgettable.

Or it would be if it didn't get exactly zero points. Hey, it is an achievement!
But I have to admit, this song made me feel quite uneasy. These giant trumpets have very threatening aura...

25. Germany: "I Don't Feel Hate" by Jendrik
While this song completely doesn't match my taste, I still enjoyed it a lot. Jendrik s a huge ball of sunshine and his optimism and enthusiasm are contagious. The performance itself is great – very energetic and upbeat. I'm really surprised that it did this bad with points. Germany deserved much better.
Also let's not forget that, despite ESC being a rather family-friendly show, they still somehow managed to flip off whole Europe.

24. Spain: "Voy A Quedarme" by Blas Cantó
You know, I actually like this entry. The song is very personal and emotional and Blas has great voice – the high notes are stunning. The visuals are very fitting, setting the mood. There's only one thing I don't like: this giant moon is completely unnecessary (damn, for whole performance I was wondering, if it'd fall on the scene...).
 
23. Netherlands: "Birth Of A New Age" by Jeangu Macrooy
A very unique entry. It's always refreshing to see different cultures represented at Eurovision. The song itself is very powerful and has an important message. Quite a pity it didn't receive the recognition it deserved.
 
Also, I really like the dancer. He's so skilled and invested!
 
22. San Marino: "Adrenalina" by Senhit feat. Flo Rida
Okay, San Marino getting an American rapper to perform a fragment of the song definitely was at the bottom of the "what to expect" list. Unfortunately, this bold move didn't bring them a victory. Still, the song is quite nice, perfect for summer. The performance is also good.
 
However, there's one thing that keeps bugging me... What is Senhit wearing at the beginning and whose idea was it?!

21. Albania: "Karma" by Anxhela Peristeri
I love this entry so much! It's epic and unique. Anxhela's vocal is incredible, so strong and just beautiful. I also like the idea behind the staging: it's quite minimalistic, but makes the audience focus on the singer. Awesome. Simply awesome.

20. Azerbaijan: "Mata Hari" by Efendi
When I first heard this song, I joked it's just "Cleopatra 2.0". And okay, they are similar, but I think it was deliberate ("Cleopatra" is even referenced in the lyrics).
 
Strong entry with nice staging (I love the snake!) and catchy song. I also like the ethnic elements it brings, diversity is always welcomed.

And let's not forget about the Eurovisional love story it sparked!

19. Belgium: "The Wrong Place" by Hooverphonic
One of my favourites this year. I love it's dark vibe, pretty rare at this contest. The minimalistic staging builds an unique atmosphere of melancholy, very fitting for a song about a one night stand gone sour. And I have to admit I'm in love with the music, especially the chorus. I can listen to it all the time.

As a whole, "The Wrong Place" is rather non-Eurovisional, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing – it's just different.

18. Norway: "Fallen Angel" by TIX
After the first hearing, I didn't like this song – I wrote it off as another break-up ballad. But then I learnt more about the singer. And watched the music video. And just fell in love.
 
"Fallen Angel" is one of the most important entries this year. TIX tells the story about coming to terms with one's weaknesses and not letting our demons drag us down. The moment he takes off his glasses is extremely powerful: he's not ashamed of his illnesses, of who he is. Despite progressing normalisation of various health problems, talking about it is still an act of bravery. TIX knows it and still shares his experiences whenever he can. I admire him a lot for doing this.
Also, let's be honest: he's such a lovely person, it's hard not to like him!

17. Israel: "Set Me Free" by Eden Alene
Cool, very catchy entry. I especially like the dancers, the energetic choreography complements the show quite well. Also, Eden's very charismatic and really does her best, which is great to watch. And these high notes? Amazing.
 
I only have a question to the hairdresser: how?!

16. Cyprus: "El Diablo" by Elena Tsagrinou
No, I'm not going to make another "Cyprus sends the same entry every year" joke, don't worry. (This stopped being funny ages ago... Although Elena reminds me a bit about Tamta, but in a good way).
 
This whole performance oozes sex-appeal. The song, the staging, the choreography, everything is so sexy you can't take your eyes off the screen. Also, can we focus on the dancers for a while? They are so skilled, it's a shame the audience looks only at the main singer. For me they actually made this entry.

Also, minor thing but I like the contrast between the costumes. Crystal dress and red body suits are a really clever combination.

15. Serbia: "Loco Loco" by Hurricane
Sweethearts, a new party anthem just dropped!

But really, this entry is incredible. Danceable song? Shiny costumes? Wild hair? It has everything! I also love how the girls share the spotlight: there are moments when the focus is only on one of them, thanks to which each has her time to shine. And last but not least, Hurricane somehow managed to pull absolutely wild choreography while singing and never got out of breath. Talk about stamina!

There is only one thing I don't like: the visuals with black-and-white stripes were quite unnecessary and too epileptic to my taste. They could have been exchanged for something less seizure-triggering.

14. Sweden: "Voices" by Tusse
The song itself is not exactly in my type, but I still like it. The performance is very emotional and Tusse did incredibly well. He has great voice, especially in the chorus. Also, the staging is nice, I like the changes in visualisations. It made the song much more epic.

13. Moldova: "Sugar" by Natalia Gordienko
One of the most fabulous entries this year. Natalia's breathy vocal is so hot, which fits the song's theme really well. And I love how she is clearly having fun while performing – she didn't stop smiling even when she dropped the mic. And the note at the end? Woah, talk about lung capacity.
 
The staging is one of the best. The rotating platform is a simple, but effective item, which makes the choreography more interesting. I also like the slightly futuristic vibe of the whole performance created by the visuals.

Only complaint? I quite miss the cake gore from the MV.
It was unexpected, but awesome.

12. Portugal: "Love Is On My Side" by The Black Mamba
You know, I appreciate the concept and can see, why people like this entry... But I still hate it. It just somehow manages to tick most boxes on my "things I don't like in music" list. I'm sorry.
 
11. Bulgaria: "Growing Up Is Getting Old" by Victoria
I have the same problem with this entry as with the Portugese one. Just... Not my cup of tea. At all.

But again, the concept is great and Victoria did well.

10. Greece: "Last Dance" by Stefania
I'll be honest, I totally didn't expect the green screen. But I have to admit, the idea is quite cool, especially when the dancers join. I only feel a little bit sorry for the live audience – it must have been weird to watch.
 
And the song? Well, I like the single version a little bit more, but still. I enjoyed it.
But I have to complain a little: where is the pegasus?!

9. Russia: "Russian Woman" by Manizha
A song about strong women performed by a strong woman. Despite receiving a lot of hate, Manizha didn't back out and instead did her best at the competition. Take that, haters.
 
Also, the staging is on point. The act of leaving the self-propelling dress symbolising a reborn? Working class jumpsuit? Blending modern elements with the traditional ones? The choir of different women from all around the country? I love every single fragment of it.

8. Lithuania: "Discoteque" by The Roop
Such a cute entry! It's extremely catchy, it's hard to sit down while listening to it. The silly choreography with a lot of arm flailing and jumping perfectly conveys the feeling of bouncing around to favourite music when nobody looks. Really, this song should be listed in the dictionary as the definition of fun.
 
7. Malta: "Je Me Casse" by Destiny
Another great song with feminist undertones. Destiny slayed both in terms of vocals and stage presence. However, the fact that Malta put so much pressure on her makes it a little bit hard to enjoy this performance. Poor girl, she was so stressed...

6. Finland: "Dark Side" by Blind Channel
Did I expect to leave this year's Eurovision with a new musical obsession? No. Do I mind? Also, no.

"Dark Side" was my absolute favourite from the first listening. It has everything I love: heavy guitar, melodic electronics, energetic vocals. While many people despise it as "too edgy", taking a closer look reveals it's much more than a simple rage song. It's a song about being an outcast and not giving a fuck about the world that excluded you. About flipping off all that shit that makes you tired and angry. About partying at the end of the world with others like you. About unity.

The meaning is punctuated by amazing performance, full of flashing lights, pyrotechnics and this unique feral energy. Blind Channel boys don't only pour their hearts in their music. They're living, breathing it. And it shows.

Another reason I adore this band are the members. Blind Channel consists of six cute dorks, who clearly love music and each other. They feel comfortable together, often joke and are affectionate. It's really hard not to love them. They're awesome.
And yeah, I have a massive crush on Aleksi. But come on, he's such an adorable cinnamon roll!

5. Ukraine: "Shum" by Go_A
Folk is awesome. Electronic music is awesome. And what happens when you mix it?
 
Perfection. Perfection happens.
 
"Shum" is a shining example of how to incorporate Eastern European folk elements into an entry and make it appealing to broader audience. The song is catchy and mesmerising, blending traditional music with wild rave. Futuristic visuals and TRON-like dancers complement it nicely, creating unique atmosphere that you just want to experience. And these vocals? Incredible.
Yes, I'm absolutely in love with Kateryna Pavlenko, why do you ask?

4. Iceland: "10 Years" by Daði og Gagnamagnið
I have a problem with this entry. Surprisingly, it's not the song. I mean, the song is okay, not my taste, but whatever, if someone likes this slightly retro vibe, then fine, enjoy it.
 
I have a problem with the performance. Due to one person from the group testing positively to COVID, Daði og Gagnamagnið didn't perform live. Instead, the footage from the rehearsal was shown both at semi-final and the grand final. And okay, I understand that, the band didn't want to compete without one person... But still, I can't shake the feeling that it was kind of unfair towards rest of the contestants. Let's be honest: performing live in front of the giant audience is completely different from recording the song. It's additional stress, so many things can go wrong... Twice. And they didn't have to deal with it.

I'm not saying that Iceland didn't deserve such a high score, I actually feel quite sorry for them that they couldn't perform live. But still, I have mixed feelings towards whole situation.

3. Switzerland: "Tout l'Univers" by Gjon's Tears
You know that I didn't like this song in the beginning? But then I reached the chorus, Gjon hit the high notes and I got swept away.
 
I love it. I just love it.
 
The entry is extremely ethereal and full of feelings, you just get lost in it. Gjon's angelic vocals match it perfectly. Also you can see that he's pouring his heart and soul in the performance, like his whole self belonged to music.
 
However, I have to admit that this entry gave me a little anxiety – at the end, when Gjon is waddling, I was afraid he's going to fall. Fortunately, it was just my paranoia.
Gjon's such a sweetheart, I just want to hug him... (Is it just me or there was a lot, I mean A LOT of cinnamon rolls among contestants this year?)

2. France: "Voilà" by Barbara Pravi
*sighs* And what am I supposed to sat about this entry?
 
Don't get me wrong: Barbara is a great vocalist and she nailed the performance. However, again, "Voilà" just ticks everything of my "I hate that in music" list (and a little more). The minimalistic staging doesn't help either. Sorry.

1. Italy: "Zitti E Buoni" by Måneskin
If the fact Italy won isn't an ultimate proof how horny everyone was this year, then I don't know what is.

This entry is so sexy and I don't only mean the band looking hot (although they do). The vocals are sexy, the instrumentals are sexy, the way everyone move and interact with each other is so, so, SO sexy. I don't usually listen to this type of rock, but "Zitti E Buoni" somehow managed to capture me with it's sexiness and unapologeticness, especially the latter. Måneskin don't care if they are perceived as inappropriate or rude (they even performed the uncensored version as a reprise!), they just create and don't give a fuck. And that's beautiful.

Congratulations, Italy! You deserved it.

***

And this concludes this year's Eurovisional posts. It was a wild, but very satisfactory ride. I can't wait till next year's contest.

See you all in Italy! Take care! 💜



Image sources:
Giant trumpets of uneasiness: https://youtu.be/VxNOynEJ6wc?t=48
Stefania and pegasus: https://youtu.be/duqBorqR2sM?t=97

No comments:

Post a Comment