1 February 2021

Life OST: Covering up!

Hello, sweethearts!
 
First thing: I'm sorry for the long silence, but (if you follow me on Twitter, then you probably know it) I got a little bit overwhelmed by my studies. However, if everything goes according to my plans (which hardly ever happens, but hey, some positivity doesn't hurt, does it?), in the following months there will be a little bit more posts here, so stay tuned!

And going ad rem...

I think we all know what a cover is. Musical artists are recording covers all the time and, to be honest, any song has a chance of getting covered (with the probability rising with its popularity). Said covers can be good, bad, better than original, fucking blasphemous or just different. Sometimes we don't even know we were listening to a cover unless someone informs us. And sometimes it's just hard not to admit that we prefer the cover version.

This "Life OST" covers (hehe) the last instance – it's about covers that I like more originals. As you will see, the reasons vary. Of course, that doesn't mean I hate the original versions... At least, not all of them.

So, buckle up, 'cause it's going to be (I hope) a really interesting ride!


Solar Fake "Creep" (original by Radiohead)
Let's start with something really popular. According to WhoSampled, at the moment of writing this "Creep" has been covered 79 times... And yet, while listening to "Broken Grid" for the first time, I had no idea it wasn't Solar Fake's original. This happens when you don't listen to popular bands.
 
Maybe it's the result of me hearing the cover first or maybe it's my absolute love for Solar Fake, but I vibe more with this version. I feel the electronic instrumental makes it more dynamic, while maintaining original's somber tone. Also, Sven's deep vocal sounds marvellously here, fitting well into the atmosphere.

Genitorturers "Touch Myself" (original by Divinyls)
Another rather popular song, maybe not so often covered as "Creep" but still pretty known. For some reason this cover tends to be attributed to Jack Off Jill... Which is quite weird given the fact it doesn't even match their music.

To be honest, original sounds a little bland to me. But the cover? It's awesome. I adore the musical variety in it, the clash between softer verses and cacophonic chorus, not to mention how addictive it is. I just love this song.

Synapsyche "Attack" (original by 30 Seconds to Mars)
If you follow me on Twitter, then you probably know that I'm a big fan of Synapsyche. "Attack" is actually one of my favourite songs by them. While the original is quite pleasant on itself, this version is simply gorgeous. First thing, the electronic arrangement brings a lot of freshness to it. The addiction of harsh vocals also makes it sound more diverse and interesting (and let's be honest, I'm an absolute slut for harsh vocals). However, the best thing about this cover is Marco's clean vocals. There is so much raw emotions the original simply lacks. Marco sounds utterly heartbroken, like he's about to burst into tears. Personally, I feel this cover is much better than the original and it's a shame most people haven't heard it.

The Crüxshadows "Here Comes The Rain Again" (original by Eurythmics)
While I admire Eurythmics and how they influenced electronic scene, for some reason their music has never appealed to me. This includes one of their biggest hits, "Here Comes The Rain Again". However, I absolutely love The Crüxshadows' take on it. I feel its instrumental is much richer and pleasant. Also, Rogue sounds here like an angel (but should anyone by surprised? I don't think so, it's Rogue I'm talking about). Every time I listen to this song, I just get lost in his soft, warm vocal.
 
Maybe I love this version only because I absolutely adore this band, I don't know. One thing is certain – it's gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

Helalyn Flowers "Dream On" (original by Depeche Mode)
Another example of "okay original, glorious cover". Helalyn Flower's version is more diverse and dynamic. Also, the vocals are amazingly mixed, especially the chorus – its mesmerising and truly addictive. Just like most of their music.

Fun fact: it was first song performed by this band I've ever listened to. I just fell in love with them the moment I heard this.

96猫 "-ERROR" (original by niki feat. Lily)
To be honest, I didn't plan to put any utaite covers on this list. The reason is simple: they mostly use original, sometimes only slightly altered instrumentals and it's hard to compare cover and original judging only the vocal (not to mention the fact, choosing between vocal synthesizer and human vocalist is kind of unfair). But then I heard this cover and all plans went to hell.

96猫 is one of my favourite vocalists in general. I love the variety of vocals she can do, especially the low, husky one. This cover is a perfect presentation of her amazing abilities. Also it's much more emotional than the original, which is kinda bland to me (however, it's not vocaloid's fault – as you know, it is possible to make emotional vocals with vocal synthesizer, kyaami's version of "-ERROR" is a good example). 96猫 sounds heart-wrenching here. Another great thing is the vocal editing – it's complemented with some electronic filters and glitchy effects, which blends well with the music and lyrics, giving this version some kind of deepness and unique touch.

战场原妖精 feat. 洛天依 "I MiSS U" (original by Joyce Chu)
While it doesn't sound bad, the original is totally not in my taste. I'm just not a big fan of perky guitar pop songs. However, I fell in love with this version from its first notes. 战场原妖精 is an absolute master, when it comes to both djent and vocaloids. And I'm really fond of djent and vocaloids. The guitar part is amazing, heavy and dynamic, like in most of his songs. I also like the vocals: 洛天依 sounds great and her voice fits the melody really well.
 
I'll be honest, this cover is nice to listen to when you need to lighten the mood.

Creep-P "She's Homeless" (original by Crystal Waters)
Okay, you probably know how much I adore everything Creep-P does. While I'm a little bit sad that he left vocaloid, I'm also absolutely delighted that he took up singing – he's very skilled and his voice is so pretty. You can easily hear it in this piece, where he not only sings, but also raps! And the rap part is probably my favourite, I love such additions to songs.
 
The Crystal Waters' original may be a cult classic now, but I don't like it – it's too flat and boring for me. Creep-P added a lot of musical depth to it and made it more energetic. Actually, it's hard to sit down while listening to it, your body starts moving on it's own.

Gregorian "Frozen" (original by Madonna)
Probably the exception on this list, but the original is one of my favourite songs in general. However, this band has made it even better. Why? Because everything gets better, when you add Gregorian chant. Everything. Always.
 
Okay, it isn't pure Gregorian chant, because it has to be in Latin (sometimes Greek) and a capella... But fuck it, it's still badass. Period.

2WEI "Toxic" (original by Britney Spears)
I found this song completely by an accident – it was a soundtrack for a trailer of fifth season of "Luther". I managed to find the title by searching with lyrics... Only to learn, it's one of many covers of Spears' original. After several hours of searching for this version's artist I found it... By goggling "luther season 5 trailer song" (or something like this). Why didn't I do it this way in the first place? I have no idea.
 
I love the tone of this cover. It's completely different from the original, more heavy and serious. It gives this song a totally new meaning. It's great.


This concludes the list. Of course, there are more covers I like more than originals, but let's be honest, if I had to always put all songs that belong to the topic of each "Life OST" episode, they would be awfully long.

And which covers do you like? Why? Recommend some in the comments, I'd love to check them out!
 
See you next time, sweethearts! Take care!

2 comments:

  1. I can recommend "I'm a marionette" performed by Ghost (originally belongs to ABBA). Ghost recorded it with in a little different rhythm, but what's the most important - Tobias has the most amazing voice in the (music) world ♥ M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know this one! Indeed, it's great! ��

      Delete