25 July 2019

Festival of love and joy (Eurovision 2019, part 2)

Grand final is only part of Eurovision I always watch live. I also vote (and always have problem with choosing). And, as I promised, this note will cover songs from ESC 2019 final. Enjoy!

26. United Kingdom: Michael Rice "Bigger Than Us"


The universe is bigger than us, huh? No shit, Sherlock... Okay, jokes aside. To be honest, this song is quite okay, maybe a little bit boring. I like the visuals – galaxy-like animations always look great, especially on such big screens. However, performance as a whole is too bland for ESC and I if UK wasn't in Big Five, this song probably wouldn't make it to the final.

Or maybe it would, no one knows what people vote for during semi-finals...

25. Germany: S!sters "Sister"


Hey, this song is great, why did it score so little points? I absolutely love the message and how emotional the performance itself is. Adding footage of singers in the background was fantastic choice, it nicely embraces the emotions. It's a pity Germany had no luck this year.

24. Belarus: ZENA "Like it"


Very energetic performance, I especially like the choreography. Also, ZENA has amazing voice and charisma, not to mention singing and dancing in the same time is rather difficult.

Wait... She is four years YOUNGER than me?! AND SHE HAS ALREADY MADE AN INTERNATIONAL CAREER?!
.
.
.
Fuck, what have I done wrong I'm still unrecognisable?

23. Israel: Kobi Marimi "Home"


Oh my... That's probably the most emotional performance this year. Kobi definitely gave his whole heart into singing, you can clearly hear it in his voice. I didn't like the song that much, just not my type, but the way it's performed... Simply amazing.

22. Spain: Miki "La Venda"


I absolutely adore how cheerful and colourful Spain's entry is! Upbeat songs like this are perfect for summer and I love when they are submitted for ESC among sad and serious ballads. You can clearly see how the artists are enjoying themselves during performance. And the group hug was just cute.

21. Greece: Katerine Duska "Better Love"


This entry is so... pink. And I love it. Really, the atmosphere is amazing. Clothes and scene give a little bit fairytale vibes. Song itself is also very decent, Katerine clearly is vocally talented. I also like the girls with spades, very original idea. In general, whole performance is simply lovely.

20. Estonia: Victor Crone "Storm"


To be honest, I was rather disappointed with this entry. Estonia slayed last year and this year it's just... Meh. It isn't a bad performance, but it has also nothing special. I mean, Victor doesn't have to wear a huge, visuals displaying dress or so, but the song itself should be something more than just an ordinary pop song. Especially after ESC 2018's crazy performance...

19. San Marino: Serhat "Say Na Na Na"


...the fuck? No, really: WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?! It starts as a last century's disco rip-off and then... I have no idea what to say. This song is so, so, SO bad, San Marino really had guts to send it to ESC. Well, at least internet will remember this entry thanks to memes.

Don't judge me, I had been studying medical chemistry for almost a year...

18. Serbia: Nevena Božović "Kruna"


I don't usually listen to songs like "Kruna", but I fell in love with it. Nevena sounds like an angel, especially in the chorus. Smoke and visuals match emotional tone of this song quite well, making an amazing entry. And I have never thought Serbian is such a beautiful language... However, there is one thing I don't like about this song – the English lines stick out like a sore thumb.

17. Albania: Jonida Maliqui "Ktheju Tokës"


Definitely one of my favourite entries this year. I live the eerie feeling this song has, not to mention powerful vocals. I also love the fact the lyrics are entirely in Albanian, English would definitely kill this song. I mean, whole performance feel extremely ethnic, it would be impossible to keep this character while using other language.

16. France: Bilal Hassani "Roi"


My relationship with French music is... Well... Complicated. However, this entry changed it. I fell in love with this song from the very beginning, I love how body positive the whole performance is (the dancers were simply amazing). In the world full of fat shaming and similar, it's really important that songs with such message are made.

But coming back to the entry itself: I think France should have won this year. Really, this performance is a masterpiece! I like how well the visuals are synchronized with lyrics. Also, Bilal's singing is pure pleasure to listen. I love his dancing too, this boy is so skilled... I have to check rest of his songs... And his vlogs... (How to learn French in a very short time? I can only say "Bonjour!" and "Je m'appelle crêpe").

Bilal's such a cutie, I just want to hug him.

15. Slovenia: Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl "Sebi"


Another entry I hoped would win... It's one of this songs, which you can actually feel. I adore how intimate this performance is, you can clearly see the love between Zala and Gašper. It's hard not to smile while watching they perform together. Also, the song itself is so mesmerizing and ethereal, pure magic... Slovenia definitely deserved a better score.

And I just melted at the end. They're so cute.

14. Malta: Michela Pace "Chameleon"


Looks like an advertisement for some wall paints.
.
.
.
Okay, jokes aside. Another happy, colourful entry. The song isn't my cup of tea, but I like how well performed it is. Also, I absolutely love the choreography (it's so cute!) and visuals. Especially visuals, they are so creative.

13. Cyprus: Tamta "Replay"


Such a sexy entry. Really, everything in this performance just drips with sex appeal: Tamta's amazing vocal, her mesmerizing moves, her appearance... I heard some people complained about her outfit, they thought it was too revealing. For me, it's perfectly matching overall tone of the entry. And damn, I want these boots...

12. Denmark: Leonora "Love Is Forever"


This is so sweet I just got diabetes. *plays DIMLIM before coming back to writing* Okay, I like sweet, lovely, cute and adorable things, but being like this is not enough for me. I mean, the song itself is so bland... I like the idea, but the music is just too boring, at least for me. But kudos for the multilingual lyrics, especially "Liebe ist für alle da" part.

Rammstein approves.

11. Czech Republic: Lake Malawi "Friend of a Friend"


Actually, it's a nice, very catchy song, just perfect for some parties or so. However, I didn't like this entry much. I mean, it's very well done, but the music doesn't matches my taste. I had the same problem with the previous one... And, to be honest, both sound so similar I had a deja vu.

10. Iceland: Hatari "Hatrið mun sigra"


Okay, there were many great entries this year, but this is my favourite among favourites. Really, my gothic heart has never been so pleased by an ESC song (and I was saying the same thing last year after hearing AWS). This performance is awesome, I love everything: concept, music, vocals, message, choreography, visuals, staging, costumes, every damn thing is just PERFECT. I'm positively surprised that Iceland got such a high score this year, I was sure most people would get scared of this crazy bondage orgy.

Also, I'm absolutely in love with Klemens' voice. It's so high and smooth... In general, I'm very fond of Klemens, he's such a cinnamon roll. (I want to hug him too).

And let's be honest, drummer with a hammer stole the show.

Are you on the square? Are you on the level?

9. Australia: Kate Miller-Heidke "Zero Gravity"


Holy shit... This is epic. This is simply EPIC. When I thought I've seen everything, Australia brought a singer with opera voice (I absolutely love it!), who sings while swaying on giant stick. My basophobia just goes crazy from looking at it, Kate and the dancers must have been brave as hell to perform like this. Moreover, they did they best. Stunning, isn't it?

Also, I like the visuals (galaxies, galaxies are always great). And the message. Especially the message. As a person, who has been dealing with depression for years, it's really uplifting that some people are not afraid of this topic.

8. Azerbaijan: Chingiz "Truth"


The song is... Quite enjoyable to listen. I mean, nothing special, but also not bad. However, the performance... I just fell in love with it. The futuristic vibe feels great, the visuals look absolutely stunning. And I adore the robots, robots are always awesome!

So awesome!

7. North Macedonia: Tamara Todevska "Proud"


I like the message of this song and... That's all. Okay, it's very well performed, Tamara has good, strong vocal, but, unfortunately, I don't particularly like this entry. (But I like the dress. Really like).

6. Norway: KEiiNO "Spirit in the Sky"


Another entry I hoped would win. I absolutely adore the song, it's so catchy I can't stop listening to it. Mixing EDM with Norwegian folk was a great idea (actually, I had never heard before about joik. Man learns their whole life, huh?). Add some stunning visuals and you get a song that deserves to win.

(See, Poland? THIS is how to promote country's folklore, goddammit!)

5. Sweden: John Ludvik "Too Late for Love"


Judging by YouTube comments, it's one of the internet's favourite songs this year. Well, performance is rather okay, but the song itself... Definitely not my type. I wouldn't call it bad, I just don't like it.

4. Switzerland: Luca Hänni "She Got Me"


Very catchy song with energetic performance, I like it. Luca has amazing stage persona, it's hard not to be endeared by him. Also the choreography is awesome, so powerful. No doubt why people like it.

3. Russia: Sergey Lazarev "Scream"


In 2016 Russia and Sergey just won my heart with "You Are The Only One", not only by epic visuals, but also absolutely enjoyable song (I like to listen to it from time to time). It had been said this year's entry is even better, so I expected a blast... And got disappointed as hell. The song is mean to be very emotional, but for me is just extremely bland. Sergey's vocal is okay, but the music is nothing special. The visuals also aren't even half good as in 2016. Okay, maybe I wouldn't be that bitter if I didn't love the old song... But I loved. And I hoped for something much, much better.

2. Italy: Mahmood "Soldi"


Two years ago, Italy sent a totally wild entry. Year ago, it was minimalistic and serious. Seems that this year they finally stroke a balance. (Which doesn't mean I didn't like the previous ones, because i liked, especially the 2018 one). Unfortunately, the song itself doesn't suit my taste, but I like the performance. It's well done, has amazing visuals and choreography. Even if the meaning is rather sad, the entry itself is still very enjoyable.

1. The Netherlands: Duncan Laurence "Arcade"


And here we are, the winner... To be honest, I was disappointed as hell. I mean, it's not a bad entry. The music is nice, the vocal is nice, the visuals are nice too. Everything is so... Nice. Only nice. I don't see anything special about this performance, for me it blends with other ballads. Nevertheless, congrats to Duncan, he did amazing job.

(But I still think the piano could have at least burst into flames!)


Actually, even if I complained a little bit, I still enjoyed whole contest and I just can't wait for ESC 2020. Eurovision, see you in the Netherlands!






Image sources:
Base for Serhat meme: https://i0.wp.com/oneurope.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/rop-e1557476170590.jpg?w=968&ssl=1
Bilal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilal_Hassani#/media/File:Bilal_hassani_NRJ_Reims_79785.jpg
Rammstein: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_tu_dir_weh#/media/File:Ich_tu_dir_weh.png
Hatari: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatari_(band)#/media/File:Iceland-Hatari-ESC2019-002.jpg
Awesome robots: http://d2ybq9unw89ve4.cloudfront.net/tv/2019/05/18/eurovision-song-contest-final-2019-pictures/chingiz-azerbaijan-performs-song-truth/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment